Monday 6 January 2014

Evaluation of Lock Logo

What genre did you think the name represented? Why?
I think that Lock represents an older genre of music, specifically 70's and 80's rock music. This is because lock sounds like rock and has a very hard name. The fact that lock and rock rhyme help to advertise the radio station and target the audience. This then helps to brand the station and give it an identity, therefore enhancing listeners.
 

Who do you think the audience is? Why?
The target age group for the station is 50+ as these were younger and listened to 70's and 80's music at their time of youth. The station targets both male and female, however, has a slight focus on males, as they tend to be more into rock than females.

How did you aim to appeal to that audience?
I aimed to appeal to my target audience by showing them the type of genre of music lock plays, I did this by using an old looking font, so that they could see that this instantly appeals to an older audience. I also focused on using more blue as the station has a slightly male focus.

Who do you think would be the stations' competitors? Why?
I think that competitors of lock would be absolute radio and planet rock. This is because they both play the same genre of music as lock does. They also have a similar target audience to lock, aiming to target over 50's and having a male focus.

What 'look' did you want to create? Why?
I wanted to create a hard dark look to the logo as I feel this resembles rock music as a whole. This would remind the audience that lock plays heavy yet classic hits. I feel this would give an enjoyable look to the station as by playing these old hits it would bring back sentimental feelings toward the listeners, therefore giving them a feel good factor. I also wanted to show that there was a male look to the station as this is the target audience and will mostly appeal to middle aged men.

What did you think was the most successful part of your logo?
I am most please with the lock shape, this is because this element took the most time to create as I created it from scratch. I had to use a range of different tools to create the shape, all in which I taught myself and used effectively. This took up most of my time as it was such a complex shape to create, having further elements to it which needed adjusting. I also gave the lock a 3-D effect which was very difficult and time consuming, however, I overcame this independently. I also think the colour themes were very successful as they fit very well with each of the other logos.

Did your audience think that it suited the genre? 
When I asked my audience for feedback they were all aware that the station played a rock style genre and that it had a male focus. This was mainly due to the name of the station and the theme colours used in the design. They also said that they liked the way I had created a lock shape to fit in between the words 'lock' and that the lock stood for an 'o' they said this worked very well and made it more eye-catching.

What skills have you developed most when creating this logo?
A skill in which I have developed the most when creating this logo is the pen tool, this is because I was using this tool the most when creating the lock shape and the key shape. I learnt that the longer spent using the tool the better quality outcome, likewise the shorter time spent using the tool the less better quality outcome.

What could you still do to make your work even better? Why?
I could perhaps add a rock element to the logo, for example a guitar. This would enhance listeners understanding of the type of genre that lock plays and what the station stands for. This would also make the logo slightly more eye-catching, however, may end up being a distraction taking the
viewers eyes away from the main points illustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment